Managing Editor, Strategized Initiatives That Increased IMPACT’s Website Traffic From ~45K to ~400K
November 13th, 2017
Are you reading this on a mobile device?
Based on the following statistics (and the scene at any Starbucks), I'm willing to bet you are.
Inbound marketers have been following the rise of mobile marketing for years, but considering how ingrained mobile devices are in our lives as both consumers and professionals today, it shouldn't really be considered a "trend." It should be a staple.
Optimizing for mobile (if not creating a dedicated mobile marketing strategy) is something you should've done by now, but if you haven't, it needs to be done in 2019. No excuses.
The mobile marketing statistics and facts below will help you understand why and also provide some guidance when shaping your mobile marketing strategy in the coming year.
Rather watch? This video contains five of our favorites.
1. As of March 2017, 80% of top Alexa websites were mobile adaptive. (Mobiforge)
This is pretty cut-and-dry. If you want your site to perform well, it needs to be optimized for mobile.
Marketers and advertisers are heavily investing in mobile, which means, most likely, so is your competition. If you want to stay competitive, you need to have a mobile optimization or marketing strategy in place.
3. By 2019, mobile advertising is expected to represent 72% of all U.S. digital ad spending. (MarketingLand)
But at the same time...
4. 70% of people report disliking mobile ads. (HubSpot)
In fact, mobile ad blocking has increased 90% year-over-year.
5. By 2018, American adults are expected to spend on average 3 hours and 23 minutes on nonvoice mobile media. (eMarketer)
That's up more than 1 hour from 2013. It has increased steadily every year since.
With so many cell phone services giving away free smartphones with their contracts, this number is only going to keep increasing -- which is good news for companies with a mobile marketing strategy.
7. 48% of consumers start mobile research with a search engine --but 33% go directly to the site they want. (Smart Insights)
This is why you want to produce valuable content that makes it easy for your buyer persona to find you online. You also want to optimize for mobile search results.
8. Users spend on average 69% of their media time on smartphones.(comScore)
As a marketer, you need to align with the buyer's behavior. With more than half of people consuming media via smartphones, you need to make sure yours offers the best experience possible.
9. Google drives 96% of mobile search traffic, followed by Yahoo at 2% and Bing at 1%. (NetMarketShare)
Google doesn't just dominate search on desktop, but mobile as well. If you want to increase your mobile search traffic, optimize for Google on smaller screen sizes. That means truncated titles, meta-descriptions, and careful consideration of Google AMP.
10. Apps account for 89% of mobile media time, with the other 11% spent on websites. (Smart Insights)
17. 68% of companies have integrated mobile marketing into their overall marketing strategy. (Salesforce)
All of the data has shown that mobile marketing is profitable and shouldn't be ignored.
18. 71% of marketers believe mobile marketing is core to their business. (Salesforce)
For many of our tech clients, mobile marketing is the top priority and it has shown to have a high ROI.
19. 58% of companies surveyed have a dedicated mobile marketing team. (Salesforce)
If you have the resources, it makes sense to have a team of people with an expertise in mobile marketing to get the most benefit from your marketing efforts.
20. Google says 61% of users are unlikely to return to a mobile site they had trouble accessing and 40% visit a competitor’s site instead. (MicKinsey & Company)
Is your company "phoning in" the mobile experience of your website? Not only are you turning away potential customers, but you're sending them straight to your competitors that provide a better mobile experience.
21. Tablets account for the highest add-to-cart rates on eCommerce websites at 8.58%. (Smart Insights)
28. 88% of consumers who search for a type of local business on a mobile device call or go to that business within 24 hours. (Nectafy)
Just like your mother told you as a kid, first impressions really do count. People use their mobile device to find a local business when they're ready to buy and a great mobile website makes the decision even easier for them.
29. 83% of B2B marketers said mobile apps were important to content marketing. (Strategy Trends)
Remember when having a website was cool and not all businesses had one? We're seeing the exact same trend with mobile apps today.
30. By 2018, 8 in 10 email users will likely access their email accounts exclusively from their mobile devices (emailmonday)
Mobile marketing isn't just about apps and your website; even your emails need to be fully optimized to offer the best experience on the go.