How Silence Can Change Your Life [MarketHer Ep. 61]
By Kate Fodera
Perhaps one of the coolest things about this season's MarketHer theme is that while every guest ends at a very similar end goal (the practice of mindfulness and/or meditation), their journeys are drastically different.
Suma, a HubSpot Agency Owner, and our guest this week, is no exception.
If you have a passion for mindfulness and/or meditation and would like to be a part of this show, complete this form!
We'd love to have you join in on this conversation about mindfulness!
When Suma was faced with the tough reality of having to run an agency on her own after her co-founder left the company, she felt overwhelmed. Especially since she only had experience in operations previously.
She followed her gut and pushed forward, which lead her to take an entrepreneur course, however, that wasn't smooth sailing either.
Well, not until her facilitator noticed she was all over the place.
That's when he gave her this simple advice -- Go sit in silence.
Those few words changed her life, both professionally and personally.
Find out how:
Ready to get started? Here are some tips that Suma shared to come back to the present:
- Breath is the easiest way to do it. Take deep breaths. Or simply focus on your breathing for a few minutes.
- Focus on your feet, how they touch the floor/ground. Bring your attention to the feet. So you feel grounded, and not going round and round in your head.
- Look around and pay attention to something. A leaf, a flower, a smile, a building, anything. Just observe. You don't have to like it or hate it. Or judge it. Just observe. Soon you will start noticing some great beauty in the absolutely mundane.
- Focus on what you're eating. Close your eyes if you must. Taste it. Eat slowly. Notice various flavors. No need to label them. Just experience them.
- Chanting helps a lot. There are so many mantras, or you can make one up yourself.
And if you're ready to start reading and immersing yourself, here are some resources that she found valuable in her journey:
- Matt Kahn
- Paramahansa Yogananda (The Autobiography of a Yogi)
- Kriya Yoga
- 21-day meditation challenges by Deepak Chopra
And hey, if you decide that you're not ready to dive into the resource above, that's okay -- take this last bit of advice from Suma: "Above all, be kind to yourself (this is probably the hardest, but without this, we aren't going to get far, are we?)."
Have you started to put any of the tips we've shared into practice? Email us at email@example.com! We'd love to hear your journey and share your story with others!
We hope you found this episode as insightful as we did and if you have feedback or comments, please follow us on social and share!
Again, if you have a passion for this topic, please complete this form for the opportunity to be a part of this season and our show!
Join us in our Facebook MarketHer Group to continue talking about opportunity!
As always, if you have some tips, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will share it on our Facebook page!!
Listen to the Episode on iTunes
Stay Connected, Get Engaged!
First, subscribe to MarketHer on iTunes.
Second, have a question or an idea for a future episode of the podcast? Let us know by commenting below, subscribe to our playlist on YouTube, connect with us directly on our channels below, or send us an email.
Angela: LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram
Kate: LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram
[NEW] MarketHer Official: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter (also Snapchat IMPACTMarketHer)
Or, you can leave us a comment below! Until next week...
We Listened, You Heard, Now, Go MarketHER!
Wondering where to begin?