We've always been told "never judge a book by its cover", but what about the phrase "never judge a brand by their Facebook Cover Photo"?
Not only does it not have quite the same ring to it, but as inbound marketers we're aware that our visitors are in fact judging us by our cover photo on a regular basis.
I mean, there's really no getting around it.
Free Guide: The Ultimate Inbound Marketing Strategy Playbook 2022
Taking up nearly a quarter of your screen on most devices, your Facebook Cover Photo is the first thing your page visitors come in contact with. Additionally, it serves as an excellent piece of visual real-estate for your business to use to generate leads, humanize your brand, and showcase your creativity.
Since it's inception brands across the board have been coming up with innovative, original cover photo designs, but how does one go about creating something comparable without the necessary tools?
While I am grateful for our team of brilliant designers, realistically not all businesses have a slew of professionals to whip up a quality Facebook Cover Photo the minute the need strikes.
Lucky for you, Canva has come up with a free drag-and-drop design tool that makes Facebook Cover Photo creation a breeze.
Below we've detailed 6 easy steps designed to teach you how to use Canva to create an original Facebook Cover Photo.
How it Works:
1) Select the 'Facebook cover' option from the start a new design slider:
2) On the right you will find your toolbar. Here you can search for graphics, browse layouts, insert text, switch your background, or upload your own images.
3) For the purpose of this tutorial, we are going to build a cover photo without using a pre-formatted layout. Therefore, we will get started by selecting a background color/design:
You can select either a plain color, or select a patterned background and use to + button next to the color circles to customize the perfect hue.
4) From here you can search the gallery of graphics, or insert a photo of your own. We chose to use a photo of our own, but first, we've inserted a frame for the image to make it stand out:
Canvas allows you to select a frame, play with the size, and position it where you want on the cover photo. We suggest inserting your images into the center of off to the right, as your Facebook photo will overlap your cover photo in the lower left corner.
To add your image simply drag it into the frame, or upload it using the upload option in the right toolbar.
5) To insert text, click the text tab in the right toolbar and select a style from the menu. Feel free to adjust the size, and use the color circles in the pop up toolbar to customize the color. You also have the option to change the font and font color.
6) Canva makes it easy to publish your image by simply selecting the 'Link & Publish' button in the right hand corner. Upon clicking you will see this screen:
You then have the option to publish your creation as an image or PDF. Additionally, Canva provides you with a preview link that you can share with members of your team who may want to implement edits before publishing.