"Are Voice Assistants the Next Frontier or the Start of Armageddon?" [Creator's Block, Ep. 110]
My dad is retiring from his job of nearly 32 years.
As my brother, mother and I sat around brainstorming ideas on what to get him as a congratulations present, we kept circling back to the Amazon Echo and its accessories.
Now, my dad has a serious love/hate relationship with Alexa.
He loves that he can ask her to play pretty much any song at drop of a hat, but hates when she doesn't understand what he says and some of her other limitations.
He doesn't just use the voice interface enough, so we ultimately decided against another Alexa product.
But the whole situation got me thinking about how I interact with voice and what the future for it holds.
According to Adobe, 91% of brands are already making significant investments in voice and of those, 71% see voice as improving the user experience.
I, like most people, tend to utilize a voice interface with my more tactical, day-to-day tasks:
- Driving directions
- Phone calls
- Checking the weather
- Playing music
But if voice is truly going to make an impact, it needs to be able to adapt to the more complex items like online banking or booking travel.
So, how can we ensure the growth of voice interface? Through design.
Join Marcella and I as we dive into our thoughts on developing and using a voice interface and the obstacles many marketers will face.
Listen to the Episode
What We Talked About
- When would a voice assistant benefit design
- Voice and screen combinations are the future of digital experiences
- How would we use voice interface for websites?
- Voice Trends & Statistics: What Designers Need to Know About the New Tech Boom
- 91% of Brands are Investing in Voice: How to Make it Work
- Voice User Interfaces (VUI) — The Ultimate Designer’s Guide
- Designing a VUI — Voice User Interface
- Airbud Raises $4 Million to Add a Voice Interface to Your Website
We Want to Hear from You!
First, subscribe to Creator's Block on Apple Podcasts. Second, have a question or an idea for a future episode of the podcast? Let us know!
Or, you can shoot us a message in IMPACT Elite!
Wondering where to begin?