Creator's Block #41 [Podcast]: Skills All Agency Creatives Need
By Liz Murphy
I love working at an agency. (Lucky for me, the agency I work at rocks.) In fact, I joked with someone the other day that I didn't choose the agency life; "agency life chose me."
Each day presents new challenges and opportunities to learn and push myself to solve complex problems. And, as someone who gets bored easily, this kind of dynamic environment is critical to my professional happiness.
I couldn't imagine it any other way.
But here's the thing about working at an agency -- while it's great for marketing creatives who want to dive right in and get their feet wet in an energetic, fast-paced environment, it's not for everyone.
No matter what style of creative you are -- designer, website developer, writer, editor, etc. -- agencies will always ask more of you (from a skill sets perspective) than the creative projects in your portfolio.
Relationship management. Racing against competing deadlines. Throwing yourself into the void of a brand new project, where you're learning as you go.
Given that Marcella, Jessie-Lee, and I have all been in the game for quite some time, we have a lot of thoughts on what it takes to be successful. So, this week we're sharing our real world experiences, as well as our thoughts on what skills all marketing creatives should possess -- or want to improve upon -- if they are considering making the jump to agency life.
Listen to the Episode
What We Talked About
- The noncreative skills required at an agency
- Communication and the art of feedback
- Managing relationships with clients and coworkers
- In-house creative demands vs. agency creative demands
- Dealing with different personalities (and conflict)
- The importance of self-awareness
- ...and more!
Resources We Talked About
- How Agile Can Help Your Team Get into Ship-Shape
- Jira (for use with agile teams)
- Creator's Block #40: When Creative Projects Go Off the Rails
We Want to Hear from You!
First, subscribe to Creator's Block on Apple Podcasts. Second, have a question or an idea for a future episode of the podcast? Let us know!
- Creator's Block: Twitter, Instagram
- Jessie-Lee: Twitter, Instagram
- Marcella: Twitter, Instagram
- Liz: Twitter, Instagram
Or, you can leave us a comment below! Until next week...