"Starting a Podcast:" The IMPACT Show Ep.14 [Show Notes]
We got really meta this week!
In this, our 14th episode of The IMPACT Show, Bob and Nick took to the airwaves to talk the release of Intercom's first bot Operator, what Apple is planning for iPhone's 10th anniversary, LinkedIn's new mentor matchmaking service, and our big topic of the week, starting a podcast (complete with tips and insight on how we got The IMPACT Show up and running).
Just in case you missed us live (or if you want to relive the magic), you’ll find the episode’s show notes below as well as the recording.
Enjoy and make sure to share with your peers!
Like what you saw? Make sure to subscribe for email reminders and give us a review on iTunes.
Have feedback or questions? We’d love to hear it. Comment on this blog or email us at email@example.com
Digital Marketing News
Where each week, Bob and Nick share one thing from the world of digital marketing that caught their eye and found interesting to share.
Intercom Released Their First Bot
- If you're not sure what Intercom is, they're a live chat and marketing platform (Drift competitor), providing a dashboard that receives live chat messages through a brand's website chat window, emails, custom application or profile pages on Twitter and Facebook Messenger.
- Popular program with over 17,000 customers.
- Their bot is called Operator, its features include:
- Collect contact info
- Calculate and show customers your team availability
- Answer conversations with suggested articles
- Able to collect feedback when a user reacts negatively
- Claim that it's the first bot that cares about end user experience
- If you're already an Intercom customer, it's free in their Educate and Respond products.
- Check Out Operator.
Apple's 10th Anniversary
- There are a lot of rumors about the iPhone 8, which will be released for their 10th anniversary
- “Apple has a major iPhone redesign planned for 2017, with a glass body and edge-to-edge OLED display that does away with the Home button and perhaps replaces Touch ID with a new facial recognition system.”
- Will also have wireless charging, and a glass body that's similar to the body that was used for the iPhone 4.
- Read More.
LinkedIn's Mentor Matchmaking Service
- LinkedIn's newest feature allows users to look through connections to find a mentor or someone they'd like to mentee. With this feature, LinkedIn's making it easy for connections to match their skills to someone who could use them.
- The goal of the matchmaking option is that users can find advice for situations when they're negotiating a salary, searching for a job, etc.
Main Topic: “How to Start Your Own Podcast”
- Define your audience
- You'll notice that we open up our podcasts every week with who our podcasts are for
- Something that can be hashed out in a meeting or two
- Do research… understand what your audience would want
- We called people who fit that audience to understand their situations and identify what they would want to hear
- Content is only going to be successful if it's resonating with your audience
- Develop your value proposition/purpose (why)
- Define your differentiator/spin, “content tilt”
- For us, it's about our experiences and sharing what we've learned and our vulnerabilities
- Define your format (interview, segments?)
- Our vision was to do a show with segments, such as:
- Trending news in digital marketing
- Deep dive into our main topic
- Our vision was to do a show with segments, such as:
- Create your agile editorial calendar
- Have an editorial calendar and always have a plan, but keep it flexible and agile.
- Get your tech setup
- Great article by Ryan Hanley - 7 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Published My First Podcast
- Decent mics… we’re each using audio-technica AT2020 USB Mics
- Keep in mind how far away from the mic you are, it can affect your sound.
- A way to record and edit… Skype, Audacity or Garageband, our Quicktime…
- We do ours… Zoom, Open Broadcaster Software > Facebook Live
- Lipsyn to host (cheap), then share on iTunes & stitcher, even YouTube
- Get your process right (schedule, publishing, promoting, show notes)
- Create a playbook(s) on how to do everything
- Stick to a schedule so your audience knows when to expect new content
- Do a few practice runs
- Get your content and artwork ready
- Photos… match the tone (fun)
- Plan a launch campaign
- Create the first episode
- The hardest part is producing your first episode. No matter what happens, just keep your cool.
- If you're nervous, listen to the first episode of successful podcasts.
- Get to 10 episodes
- Make it a part of your mission
- Promote, ask for reviews
- Figure out how to splinter the content to make it go further.
Bonus tip… Start with an end in mind (12 part series..), even if you decide to change it
We would love your comments! Feel free to send us an email or comment on the Facebook thread.
If you really liked it, please give us a 5-star review on iTunes. Review offer: We have a special price for the first 10 people to leave us reviews on iTunes (hopefully 5-stars). After you do, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org so we know it’s all set.
Join Us Next Week! Topic: Events & The Impact of Growing a Business
We'll be back again next Thursday, August 17th at 1:00 PM ET. Want to get reminded? Drop us your name and email address below and we’ll make sure you’re notified before the broadcast every Thursday!
Wondering where to begin?